Kornel Lesiński wrote:
On 1 Oct 2010, at 18:46, Moritz Baumann wrote:

I think the next step would be to work out syntax exactly:

http://phptal.org/wiki/doku.php/improvedtales
Hm, that page mentions a lot more than just logical operators. I guess that’s
what the negative feedback was about, not logical operators inside
tal:condition.

The main difference between PHPTAl and other template engines is that the syntax
is quite simple and that the templates look "clean". IMHO, function calls and an
equivalent to the ?: operator would add unnecessary complexity to PHPTAL and
spoil exactly what makes PHPTAL unique and great. Support for logical operators
inside tal:condition, on the other hand, would make the php: modifier more or
less unnecessary.

I look at this differently: these are things I need, whether their syntax is
nice or not, so I'd prefer to make their syntax nicer.

Perhaps arguments to functions is a step too far (and authors should be
required to write expression modifiers for these), but setting of class name
based on condition is a very common pattern and ternary operator is an awful
way to do it.

i personaly would like to avoid "php:" as much as possible, so for setting class name i use things like

function phptal_tales_iftrue($src, $nothrow)
{
$src = explode(',', trim($src));
return '(' . phptal_tales(trim($src[0]), $nothrow) . ' ? ' . phptal_tales(trim($src[1]), $nothrow) . ' : null)';
}

<li tal:repeat="item list" class="${iftrue: repeat/item/end, 'last'}">...</li>