Hi,

When using gettext within php, tools like "poedit" are able to parse the php
source code to generate a list of all messages that have to be translated.
Is there anything similar for phptal and it's i18n features?

We thought about it and it looks like a parses could easily be written:

- Any translation is within a tag with a "i18n:translate" attribute on it
- Nested translations are forbidden
- Only "i18n:name" is allowed within translations, so all other markup and any
tal:repeat or the like are stripped

So as long as you don't use any <tal:block i18n:translate="${hack}" /> you
could find those tags, replace i18n:names with ${placeholders} and strip all
other markup from their content to generate a complete list of messages from
any / all templates (We therefor would recommend to disable the ability to use
${} within i18n:translate. It's just sending you down the wrong path...).

So, we have two questions:

1. Is there anybody who already solved this stuff?
2. If not, does anybody have any hint why this approach won't work?

Kind regards,
Per

--

webfactory GmbH
Per Bernhardt, Anwendungsentwickler

Lessingstraße 60
53113 Bonn
Germany

Fon +49 228 9114455
Fax +49 228 9114499
www.webfactory.de
p...@webfactory.de

Geschäftsführer: Sebastian Kugler, Matthias Pigulla
Handelsregister: HRB 8673, Amtsgericht Bonn