I really prefer the extended syntax...
Verbosity in templates is not that bad when prefilter render what I wanted
in a clean, concise and compressed way...
Making aliases within the library itself is just an overkill in my opinion,
and could only case confusion for newcomers and collegues.
I suggest you to go with prefilters in your project and leave "long" syntax
in PHPTal...

Also, as Robert explained before, shortening often causes problems, and I
also prefer to use PHPTal instead of ANY other templating engine exactly for
its strictness and verbosity.

Also saw a post on the mailing list about XML strictness being too strict...
Please keep it as it is! I love PHPTal as it is: severe on strictness!

Marco Pivetta
http://twitter.com/Ocramius
http://marco-pivetta.com