I totally disagree that "we all use #ids" :)

When it comes to styling or semantic markup, ids have no advantage to
well-choosen classes.
It is rather problematic because there are some bad things about ids:

 *   They mess up CSS specificity because there are way too strong
 *   They have to be unique which may lead to invalid html markup in the long
run
 *   ...

So I think we shouldn't mess up the clean and concise syntax of phptal only to
support something I wouldn't agree with at all.

My two cents worth...
Per