Looks like there is no an option in html5boilerplate to make xhtml output
when building your sources.

But there is a simple way to fix it by editing build.xml file,
here is recommendation by Paulrish:

https://github.com/h5bp/html5-boilerplate/issues/672#issuecomment-1787218

... but it still does not work because if you disable what Paulrish
proposed in build.xml, then you get original css & js files missing in
"publish" directory. And in the same way you get no combined css and js
inserted in your html. So you get inconsistent html files at the end.

Anton Andriyevskyy
Business Automation & Web Development