Maybe I've missed something but my interpretation of your problem is that you
want to add variable content into a translation string for an attribute.

How about something like:

        <tal:block i18n:name="maxFilesize" tal:content="uploadMaxHumanFilesize"
/>

with a po file (assuming you are using gettext) of:

msgid "titleTranslationKey"
msgstr "Drop photo to upload (max ${maxFilesize} MB)"

I am assuming here that the i18n:name key/value pairs are available for
attribute translation in the same way they would be for content translation but
I haven't seen why that wouldn't be the case.

Robert
----
Robert Goldsmith
rgoldsm...@names.co.uk