It think phptest is one of the nicest test programs I've seen. I don't think it would take much to make it more robust. As I said we've used it for 3 years and except for the problem I've described and a few minor hiccups, it's been great. This year the students really hammered on it. My results table had more than 300,000 records in three days. They started getting a table full error. I dumped the data and emptied the table and everything started back up again, so that problem could be eliminated by running a cron job to shutdown the database, clear the table, and restart (or maybe) increase the table capacity? As for users getting the wrong results, it may just be because I am still using mysql 3.xxx. Perhaps, this would not happen with 4.x.

I am going to look at the drupal quiz program to see if it will meet my needs. If not, I would be willing to work with others to add the functionality, security, and power that phptest needs to make it an "industrial strength"
quiz program if others are interested (Dan? Donna? Others?).

What we are seeing here, though, is, I think, is part of a larger problem. As educators want to move beyond the syllabus dispensing and class roster managing functionality of Blackboard, WebCT, etc., we need to return to the concept that these applications are not just database-backed web pages requiring nothing more than facility in page design and rudimentary sql. Rather, they are complex pieces of software engineering that require expertise in database management, system administration, security, etc. It is hard to persuade managers and others who make the budgets of this when they have been so completely seduced by the false promises of the greedy point and click mongers. So much for preaching to the choir, I know.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Best,
Kathie