AFAIK there should be no problems with \n cahracters.

The xml spec (section 2.1.1) dictates that newlines inside xml element text be
normalized to \n, and this is what happens dutifully with the php xmlrpc lib:

if the server sends this string:
" a\n b\r\n c\r d\n\r e"

the client will receive
" a\n b\n c\n d\n\n e"

I just tried this on my box and it works (I use a patched version of the lib,
but it has nothing to do with string encoding)

1) Is the client you are talking about a phpxmlrpc client?

2) Is it on a windows box? If so take care: if e.g. the client saves the string
to a text file and then you open it with notepad, the \n line endings instead
of \r\n will be misunderstood.

ciao
Gaetano