On Jan 1, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Del Dhanoa wrote:

so if I wanted to created a ping server to accept pings from blogger and wordpress, which script in the lib/ directory would I be using?

You don't need XML-RPC for trackbacks or pingbacks...they're made using standard HTTP requests with POST data, not XML-RPC requests. If they were, in theory, you'd be using both the xmlrpcs.inc and xmlrpc.inc files, but you'd have to write a custom script that responds to the pings. The library itself just provides the functionality of XML-RPC calls. You'd still have to write your own scripts that specify _what_ calls it responds to, and how the responses are sent back.

I implemented a blogging module for my CMS, and set it up to respond to pings for trackbacks without using the XML-RPC libraries at all. So in my CMS, if someone else's blog posts to http://www.example.com/ blog/tb/1/index.php, (the trackback URL for blog entry #1), I take their request, store the information (contained in the $_POST array), and

...the format is so simple, it isn't worth doing in any more convoluted a manner.

To allow your own users to ping other blog URLs, however, might use a custom HTTP call -- stuff the data (title, excerpt, URL) in an array, and send a POST request to their trackback URL.

In other words, none of this needs XML-RPC at all. I followed http:// www.sixapart.com/pronet/docs/trackback_spec for the specs.

a.h.s. boy
spud(at)nothingness.org            "as yes is to if,love is to yes"

phpxmlrpc mailing list