I am not really sure I undertand what you are asking...

If what you need is to save the responses received from the server as xml, you have two options:

1- use the serialize() method on the response object.

$resp = $client->send($msg);
if (!$resp->faultCode())
  $data_to_be_saved = $resp->serialize();
  etc...

2 - set the client object to return the raw xml received instead of the decoded objects:

$client = new xmlrpc_client($whatever);
$client->return_type = 'xml'
$resp = $client->send($msg);
if (!$resp->faultCode())
  $data_to_be_saved = $resp->value();
  etc...

Note that using this method the xml response response will not be parsed at all by the library, only the http commuincation will be checked. This means that xmlrpc responses sent by the server that would have generated an error response on the client (eg. malformed xml, responses that have faultcode/faultmsg set, etc...) now.

Hope this helps
Gaetano