David Luu wrote:
Thanks for the response Gaetano.

Using array to hold all the parameters as a single parameter is fine and easy. My potential problem is the array content is undefined until at runtime. It could be array of arrays, array of struct, array of scalars. And for array of arrays/struct, it could be nested to contain more in the worst cases. Obviously array of scalars is the easiest case, I'd just like to be able to accommodate the more complex corner cases.

Per the PHP XML-RPC docs, in all cases, whether the xmlrpcval is array, struct, or scalar, they're all of xmlrpcval types (within an array or struct, if not a scalar by itself). So in the worst case, I'd have to traverse the array tree to parse out all the arrays/structs to individual scalar elements and return them back as scalarVal() for use by PHP as native types. Just wondering what might be optimal ways to do this kind of traversal.

As in my previous mail: you can use the function php_xmlrpc_decode() to do recursive decoding of arbitrarily complex xmlrpcvals (see http://sourceforge.net/p/phpxmlrpc/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/xmlrpc/lib/xmlrpc.inc#l3308 )

If you want recursive decoding done in a slightly different way, you can create
your own version of that function, taking it as example.

If you want your php server class to do the decoding of xmlrpcvals into php values automatically for you, just set $server->functions_parameters_types='phpvals' (see http://sourceforge.net/p/phpxmlrpc/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/xmlrpc/lib/xmlrpcs.inc#l446 ), and you will not need to do anything by yourself.

Another bonus feature you might find interesting when you want to wrap "any php function" into an xmlrpc equivalent is the one here: http://sourceforge.net/p/phpxmlrpc/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/xmlrpc/lib/xmlrpc_wrappers.inc#l145

As you can see, I have played around a lot with automatic conversion of php
methods to xmlrpc calls and viceversa... ;-)

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Gaetano Giunta <giunta.gaet...@gmail.com