The current issue of the Berkeley Science Review, the campus science
magazine, has a popular article about phylogenetic shadowing, featuring
the work of our very own Lior Pachter (and written, by the way, by my
very own sister).  Pick up an issue around campus, or go to

http://sciencereview.berkeley.edu:7066/content.php?type=html&page=TOC5

search for "Shall I compare thee to a hairy ape?", and click on "Gene
Hunters" to read it online.

The work described in the article was published in the paper
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12610304&dopt=Abstract
"Phylogenetic shadowing of primate sequences to find functional regions
of the human genome", in the February 28th issue of Science magazine, to
which we don't have an online subscription (but you might pop over to
the Physics library right across the way in LeConte).

Ruchira Datta
http://math.berkeley.edu/~datta
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit the Mathematics of Phylogenetic Trees webpage:
http://bio.math.berkeley.edu/classes/290/fa2003