Owner: allain.lalonde
Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-High Effort-Medium OpSys-All
Toolkit-Piccolo2D.Java Component-Core Milestone-2.0 Usability

New issue 103 by allain.lalonde: PInputEventFilter is Overly Complex

PInputEventFilter has so much logic to jump through that I can't help but
think that pulling out a
Filter interface that returned true to acceptsEvent and allowed for
developers to implement their own
logic would help.

For example, if I need to implement a filter that allowed for both keyboard
and mouse control, but not
both, I'm not even sure where to start. Maybe if I were smart enough I
could hack together something
involving the or, and, not masks of PInputEventFilter, but it'd be harder
to debug that a simple class
that implemented a tiny bit of logic when acceptsEvent gets called.

Once that interface were in place you could subclass it to collect events
and create a representation of
the input state rather that being reactionary to individual events, it
could just pass an PInputState
object that could be queried for mouse states, and keyboard states.
Allowing for things like holding
down both left and right to mean grab. (Issue 80)

Anyway, I realize that this probably breaks binary compatibility, but I
think we can figure out a path
in this direction.

Thoughts?