PhET's customers are the educational market, which typically lags
behind the technology curve.  We only recently changed our minimum
system requirement to include Java 1.5.  So I suspect that it will be
a long time (possibly years) before we change that requirement to Java
1.6, and only once we're confident that <5% of our users are using
something earlier than Java 1.6.   So requiring Java 1.6 for Piccolo
2.0 would mean that we would be unlikely to upgrade any time soon.

I also understand that Piccolo 2.0 will contain breaking changes.
Since we have many products that use Piccolo, breaking changes will
also slow our upgrade.

That said... If you think it's the right thing to do, then I think you
should go for it, and require Java 1.6 for Piccolo 2.0.  But we aware
that PhET is unlikely to be an early adopter of Piccolo 2.0.  And
convincing PhET management that we should be involved in 2.0
development or testing may be a tough sell.