Carlo --

I don't have an immediate 64-bit Windows install to try this out, but
I have a few notes for you.

The fastest route to get you up & running is to install a 32-bit JDK
on your machine, point your path to that, and then run the piccolo2d
build (w/o any modifications) and that should work.

Otherwise...

* I'm not sure why Piccolo is pegged to 3.3.0 of SWT, but looking at
the "older releases" download section on http://www.eclipse.org/swt/,
I don't see a 64-bit version of SWT 3.3.0, there may not be one. This
is why I suggest your fastest route is to just use the 32-bit
environment.
* If you want to try 64-bit then the SWT site *does* have 64-bit
binaries of its latest stable release (SWT 3.6.1). You should get this
64-bit version into your local maven repository and try to build
against that. It's possible/likely that SWT3.6.1 is not yet in a maven
public repo, so to get it into your local Maven repo, you'll want to
download it straight from the SWT website and then do a mvn
install:install-file to get it into your local repo. (For more on mvn
install:install-file,
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-install-plugin/usage.html).
* Once you get SWT 64-bit into your local repo, then you'll need to
update the Piccolo2D swt pom to point to that. Not the parent pom, but
the *swt* pom. You'll see a dependency there that looks like this:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>${swt.groupId}</groupId>
      <artifactId>${swt.artifactId}</artifactId>
      <version>[3.3.0-v3346,)</version>
      <scope>compile</scope>
    </dependency>

You can update this directly, replacing the two ${swt.*}s with the
groupId and artifactId you specified when you did the mvn
install:install-file. Then you should be able to build, assuming
Piccolo2D works nicely on SWT 3.6.1. (You don't really need to mess
with the profiles just yet, they are a way to set swt.groupId and
swt.artifactId based on your system.)

Would love to hear how this goes for you, and maybe we could use what
you learn to make the Piccolo2D build even more cross-platform.

Oh, as you're learning maven, this might help you as you iterate to
get the swt build to work for you....

* Execute "mvn -Dmaven.test.skip install" at the project's root this
will build & install all the piccolo2d binaries to the root, without
running unit tests (faster).
* Even if the SWT build fails, all the previous modules should be
installed, so now you can just "cd swt" and simply "mvn install" there
as you sort out your SWT stuff.

Aaron