Owner: ----

New issue 203 by heue...@gmail.com: Missing maven profile for Windows x86_64

Email from piccolo2d-dev@

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Heuer <heuer...>
Date: Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: [piccolo2d-dev] Re: problem building branches\release-1.3\swt on win 7 64bit
To: piccolo2d-dev@googlegroups.com

atdixon <atdix...> wrote:

I don't have an immediate 64-bit Windows install to try this out, but
I have a few notes for you.

The fastest route to get you up & running is to install a 32-bit JDK
on your machine, point your path to that, and then run the piccolo2d
build (w/o any modifications) and that should work.

Otherwise...

* I'm not sure why Piccolo is pegged to 3.3.0 of SWT, but looking at
the "older releases" download section on http://www.eclipse.org/swt/,
I don't see a 64-bit version of SWT 3.3.0, there may not be one. This
is why I suggest your fastest route is to just use the 32-bit
environment.

We're pegged to that version since there are not more recent versions
in the Maven central repository.  If we want to be mirrored in the
Maven central repository (which we are) then all of our dependencies
must come from there.

* If you want to try 64-bit then the SWT site *does* have 64-bit
binaries of its latest stable release (SWT 3.6.1). You should get this
64-bit version into your local maven repository and try to build
against that. It's possible/likely that SWT3.6.1 is not yet in a maven
public repo, so to get it into your local Maven repo, you'll want to
download it straight from the SWT website and then do a mvn
install:install-file to get it into your local repo. (For more on mvn
install:install-file, http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-install-plugin/usage.html).
* Once you get SWT 64-bit into your local repo, then you'll need to
update the Piccolo2D swt pom to point to that. Not the parent pom, but
the *swt* pom. You'll see a dependency there that looks like this:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>${swt.groupId}</groupId>
      <artifactId>${swt.artifactId}</artifactId>
      <version>[3.3.0-v3346,)</version>
      <scope>compile</scope>
    </dependency>

You can update this directly, replacing the two ${swt.*}s with the
groupId and artifactId you specified when you did the mvn
install:install-file. Then you should be able to build, assuming
Piccolo2D works nicely on SWT 3.6.1. (You don't really need to mess
with the profiles just yet, they are a way to set swt.groupId and
swt.artifactId based on your system.)

ok, I see now that there are not separate 32-bit and 64-bit profiles
for windows.  The swt pom.xml should contain two profiles

   <profile>
     <id>windows</id>
     <activation>
       <os>
         <family>windows</family>
         <arch>x86</arch>
       </os>
     </activation>
     <properties>
       <swt.groupId>org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32</swt.groupId>
       <swt.artifactId>x86</swt.artifactId>
     </properties>
   </profile>
   <profile>
     <id>windows</id>
     <activation>
       <os>
         <family>windows</family>
         <arch>x86_64</arch>
       </os>
     </activation>
     <properties>
       <swt.groupId>org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32</swt.groupId>
       <swt.artifactId>x86_64</swt.artifactId>
     </properties>
   </profile>

And depending on how arch is reported to maven, we might also need

   <profile>
     <id>windows</id>
     <activation>
       <os>
         <family>windows</family>
         <arch>amd64</arch>
       </os>
     </activation>
     <properties>
       <swt.groupId>org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32</swt.groupId>
       <swt.artifactId>x86_64</swt.artifactId>
     </properties>
   </profile>

Then download a 64-bit SWT binary and extract its swt.jar artifact.

http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.6.1-201009090800/download.php?dropFile=swt-3.6.1-win32-win32-x86_64.zip

Use

$ mvn install:install-file -Dfile=./swt.jar \
 -DgroupId=org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32\
 -DartifactId=x86_64 \
 -Dversion=3.6.1 \
 -Dpackaging=jar

to install to your local Maven repository.  Then run your build.

Will create an issue for this shortly.

<snip>

  michael