I don't recall all the issues regarding direct vs buffered: were there
problems knowing when the buffered image should be repainted, or do we
have the same problem when it comes to direct rendering?

Here's the ticket about the fuzziness problem (perhaps this is what
you called "fidelity"?):

I saw this thread, but I'm not sure any of it is directly related to
the question at hand:

My recommendation is to make "direct" the default.

What about using a Piccolo container to perform the buffering instead
of making it a PSwing specific feature, something like:

addChild(new PNodeCache(new PSwing(mySwingComponent)));