Hi Alex,

> In fact, this is rather the normal case. There is hardly ever a
> server running only a single application.

If I understand it well, you have a server with static content
http://www.software-lab.de/ running apache (and no picolisp
application) and a server with picolisp web server http://7fach.de/ to
run picolisp applications (and not any other web server).

For each picolisp application, you create a DNS record first, e.g.

   app.7fach.de CNAME 7fach.de

Then you use the home.l application behind httpGate to redirect to the
right local port (application):

  http://app.7fach.de/ => http://7fach.de/8080

Your static content and picolisp applications simply live on different
servers.

I have one server only though and do not want to use picolisp server
exclusively on that server to serve all my web content.

> Right. Just that 'httpGate' already does "url rewriting", it is its
> main purpose (besides to SSL de/encrytion).

The url rewriting by httpGate is "only" to find the right port to
handle the request and it also assumes that the url have a "special"
format:

1) ^/<port>/  some session
2) ^/         app entry point on a second httpGate port,
              interpreted *.l file or a static file

This is only part of what would be needed to combine picolisp with
other webserver and still going through port 80 only.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,

Tomas