I was too quick in my earlier post, I got minor encoding problems
anyway, problems I never got when using curl. So I did some more
research, provided one has curl installed for php the below works just
like using the curl command but manages redirects also:

#!/usr/bin/php -q
<?php
$ch =3D curl_init($_SERVER['argv'][1]);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_MAXREDIRS, 1);
return curl_exec($ch);

It seems the php curl has got some more power than the "normal" curl,
as far as I know anyway, any example of using the normal curl to
handle redirects would be welcome so I don't have to go via php.

/Henrik