On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, TC wrote:

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Henrik Sarvell wrote:

 I'm currently fetching data from a Java source which is giving me back
 XML (one of the world's biggest poker networks), it looks something
 like this:

 <xml>
 <header>fieldname1;fieldname2</header>
 <data>data1;data2::data1;data2</data>
 </xml>

 Everyone who really has to send A LOT of data back and forth ends up
 doing something like the above ;-)

No matter what, I still twitch when I see people reinventing the wheel the wrong way like with xml, json and stuff. S-exps are way more efficient and easier to parse than all that crap, and pre-date (If only it were "predate"...) them. Yet people keep messing with xml, html, json, etc, and

Oops, I was trying to say "predate" as in predatory, but ended up discovering
(too late) that predate is the same as pre-date (antedate).

when one brings s-exps to the discussion, they say "lisp is dead, forget it" or some bullshit like that, or just disregard the comment silently and keep doing things the way they have been doing them so far.

 Anyway, given the above it made me smile reading that article.

 It's annoying that good marketing can impose such bullshit on our
 industry, I mean we're supposed to be more rational than most people
 aren't we?

 /Henrik