I had to: sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib libc6-i386 to get rid of
the missing header stuff, thanks for the pointer to the -m32 flag,
that's what helped me get to the solution.

Don't worry Alex, I've run the 64bit version quite a lot now and
there's only one thing left to solve to get my application to run
properly, as far as I can see at the moment anyway.

/Henrik