On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 09:12:06PM +0200, Henrik Sarvell wrote:
> One thing first though, since articles are indexed when they're parsed
> and PL isn't doing any kind of sorting automatically on insert then
> they should be sorted by date automatically with the latest articles
> at the end of the database file since I suppose they're just appended?

While this is correct in principle, I would not rely on it. If there
should ever be an object deleted from that database file, the space
would be reused by the next new object, and the assumption would break.

> How can I simply start walking from the end of the file until I've
> found say 25 matches? This procedure should be the absolutely fastest
> way of getting what I want.

Currently I see no easy way. The only function that walks a database
file directly is 'seq', but it can only step forwards.

> I know about your iter example earlier and it seems like a good fit if
> it starts walking in the right end?

Yes, 'iter' (and the related 'scan') can walk in both directions. You
need only to pass inverted keys (i.e. Beg > End).

If I understand it right, however, you solved the problem in your next
mail(s) by using the date index, and starting at 6 months ago?