OK since I can't rely on sorting by date anyway let's forget that idea.

Yes since it seemed I had to involve dates anyway I simply chose a
date far back enough in time that if someone is looking for something
they might as well use Google.

Anyway the above is scanning 19 remotes containing indexes for 10 000
articles each and returns in 3-4 seconds which is OK for me, problem
solved as far as I'm concerned. I have to add though that all remotes
are currently on the same machine, had they been truly distributed it
would be faster, especially if the other machines were in the same
data center.