Hi Tomas,

On Thursday 02 September 2010 19:32:40 you wrote:
> > makes up my daily work environment ;)
>
> cool.  I looked at it briefly but couldn't find my way around.  Do you
> really use that acme editor or how it's called?  Is it possible to run
> it as console only with vi (or emacs;-)?

<even more ot>

To clear it up, i use the `Plan 9 from User Space' (i.e., the tools ported to
POSIX).
Mostly because of Acme -- for very quick edit/[compile/]run/open-file-with-
error cycle, and for the Rc shell -- practical for scripting.

http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/install.html

Acme requires GUI (it could be implemented with exact same semantics in text
mode, I guess, but it isn't). However, it uses little bandwidth, and so it's
usual and natural to use it over network in both native Plan 9 and ported X11
version. ssh -Y -C gets the job done even on slow links.

It took me a few (3?) months to learn to use Acme efficiently.

Acme takes a three-buttoned mouse, preferably with a scroll. It's pretty
important to have all three physical buttons, since a lot is done via chording
two buttons.

Acme understands and uses a certain text processing language, based on sed's.
It's executed via the `Edit THE_PROGRAM'.
For example, I indent selected portion of text with:
Edit s,^,       ,g

To find current selection address(es), I do
Edit =
etc.etc.

You ought to have plumber up and running before you start Acme
http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man4/plumber.htm
to get some extra functionality, mostly related to opening files you indicate
with rightclick.
You want the plumber started on the same machine the Acme is running (one of
POSIX limitations)

My plumbing rules (the file is $HOME/lib/plumbing) are as follows:

#file / line in PHP format
type is text
data matches '(.+) on line ([0-9]+)'
arg isfile $1
data set $file
attr add addr=$2
plumb to edit

include /usr/local/plan9/plumb/initial.plumbing

> > As a curiosity, there are no shared libraries in P9 -- only what we call
> > `static linking'. It's awesome in the longer run <3
>
> What's so awesome about it?

No DLL hell.
Programs (and thus processes) and libraries are very small.
Greater percentage of code & data fits in CPU cache. Less indirect & more
direct data access & code calls/jumps. etc. etc.
http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/dynamic-linking/

and it avoids the worst bane of DLL so far:
http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/dynamic-linking/versioned-symbols

</even more ot>

tl;dr:
Plan 9 from User Space provides tools that may appeal to a long-time POSIX
user ;-)

Mateusz Jan Przybylski

``One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.''