Hi Edwin,

> > In fact, there is a function 'genKey' which generates keys, but this is
> > different from how I understand the above autogenerated keys. 'genKey'
> > simply returns a new number not yet existent in an index.
>
> i think this hits the nail squarely.

OK, good! I just misunderstood the autogenerated keys.

> suppose there is a song entitled "evergreen". one was sung by barbra
> streisand, the other by will young. different lyrics, but same song
> title.
>
> i'd like to use SongTitle as a key, but it won;t cut it, as in the
> example above. so i have to revert to something like an autoincrement
> key.

I see. So indeed 'genKey' can be used to generate some unique key.

Another option, as you know, might be to define SongTitle as a
non-unique key (+Ref), and build a unique key combination by '+Aux'ing
the artist.

It is not necessary, btw, for an Entity to have any unique key at all.
You can 'collect' all songs with a non-unique SongTitle, or find them
with Pilog.