> (wishful thinking: alternative syntax for representing transient
> > symbols without embedded spaces. maybe something like \xxx)
>
> Yeah, that's something I'm missing too. Transient symbols which
> represent not just strings simply look ugly.

There is in fact another option: using 'zap'. If you need a transient symbol
which represent something else than a string, you can use an internal symbol
throughout the file, then at the end of the file (zap 'TheVariable). This
will transform it to a transient symbol. This is however dangerous if the
symbols has been used previous to the current file, and is probably not
preferable if you're just going for a better syntax for the current
functionality of transient symbols.

/meingbg