On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 01:16:43AM +0700, Henrik Sarvell wrote:
> As far as I know there is no way of persisting external symbols in memory so
> that for instance forked server instances could work with certain data in a
> very fast way without having to touch disc.

There is a way: Just keep those symbols in a variable ;-)

In fact, _each_ external symbol is kept in memory after it is accessed
the first time. It is removed from memory only if

   1. it is not referred to (directly or indirectly)
   2. it is not dirty (modified or deleted)

Note, however, that I would not recommend to deliberately keep external
symbols in global (or long-term local) variables. If you do so, you must
be very sure about the effects. Each symbol in a database may be
connected to most other symbols (via +Link or +Joint relations, or +Hook
object-local index trees), so that no symbol might ever be released. The
effect may even be a performance degradation, due to memory shortage or
trashing.