Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de> writes:

Hi Alex,

>> > Perhaps the output mode (console cooked vs. raw) is not right? Does it
>> > behave correctly if you start it - without emacs - just from the shell
>> >
>> >    $ pil +
>> >
>> > in the default way?
>>
>> picolisp does work from the shell - but not 'doc:
>>
>> ,-----------------------------------------
>> | tj1@tj-desktop:~$ pil +
>> | + open: No such file or directory
>
> Oops, do you use a rather old version? The '+' as debug flag was
> introduced with picoLisp-3.0.6 (before March 2011).
>

>> | !? (doc 'insert)
>> | doc -- Undefined
>
> This happens because the '+' was not recognized, and thus the debugger
> and related information were not loaded.

oops...
yes, I sometimes underestimate the dynamics in projects like picolisp
or org-mode ...

I updated, now it works just fine in the shell

,------------------------
| tj1@tj-desktop:~$ pil +
| : (doc 'insert)
| -> T
| :
`------------------------

then showing me the doc in w3m.

But it still don't work in the inferior *picolisp* buffer in emacs. I
don't post that output again since it was quite 'toxic' the last time -
all my mails turned blue in emacs-gnus (due to unprintable characters?)
and I had to restart gnus.

I recently read something about sending raw shell commands from emacs to
a shell via emacs comint-mode (which forms the basis of
inferior-picolisp mode) - that was apparently not possible. But I don't
know if this is a related problem.

Or is it the command used by default in inferior-picolisp.el to start up
picolisp?

| (defvar picolisp-program-name "/usr/bin/picolisp"
| "The name of the program used to run Picolisp." )

(I did set the 4 links for global installation)

Thorsten