Hi Thorsten,

> Thats quite impressive, thanks. I thought slime/swank is only for
> communication with compiled lisps, but well ...

slime/swank is a client/server protocol.  There are backends e.g. for
Common Lisp, Scheme, Clojure, R, Picolisp and probably more.  It is not
difficult to write a new backend, if your interpreter supports the
features you are after.  I find it much better that the traditional
commint stuff. I use slime daily and can't imagine life without it
anymore;-) Definitely the way to go if you don't follow Alex's steps
with xterm and vi.  I haven't implemented the whole protocol yet, but
the subset in swank-picolisp is already usable and very helpful.

> I can open a picolisp file in slime-mode now, but I can't connect
> (with slime-connect):
>
> ,-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> | Connecting to Swank on port 4005.. [2 times] open-network-stream: make
> | client process failed: verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt, :name, SLIME
> | Lisp, :buffer, nil, :host, 127.0.0.1, :service, 4005
> `-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I have to check my slime installation ...
>
> Is that still valid, or should it rather be 'pil ore 'plmod now?
> ,-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> | (setq slime-lisp-implementations
> |       `((picolisp ("/usr/bin/picolisp/p") :init slime-init-picolisp)))
> `-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I think the way picolisp is launched has changed recently, so you
need the use the correct shell script, likely pil.  Please let me know
it it worked for you.  You should get a repl and then type (+ 1 2) and
get the result.  If you move your cursor around, you should see function
arguments in the message buffer and if you do M-. and M-, then you
should be jumping around the sources.

> So, the connection via swank replaces the connection via
> inferior-picolisp/commint - or uses it? And slime-mode replaces
> picolisp-mode, or adds new functionality to it?

Swank is a client/server protocol that doesn't use commint mode, it
talks to the picolisp interpreter via socket.  Slime mode extends
picolisp mode with the ability to talk to the server interpreter(s) via
the swank protocol.

> Thats new terrain, I only knew about swank from ENSIME, the emacs
> scala mode, never used slime/swank with a lisp.

I didn't know Scala worked with slime too.

I recommend reading about slime and watching some videos (look for slime
and Marco Baringer), e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B_4vhsmRRI
http://bc.tech.coop/blog/050728.html
http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/