Tomas Hlavaty <> writes:

Hi Tomas,

>> Thats quite impressive, thanks. I thought slime/swank is only for
>> communication with compiled lisps, but well ...
> slime/swank is a client/server protocol.  There are backends e.g. for
> Common Lisp, Scheme, Clojure, R, Picolisp and probably more.  It is not
> difficult to write a new backend, if your interpreter supports the
> features you are after.  I find it much better that the traditional
> commint stuff. I use slime daily and can't imagine life without it
> anymore;-) Definitely the way to go if you don't follow Alex's steps
> with xterm and vi.  I haven't implemented the whole protocol yet, but
> the subset in swank-picolisp is already usable and very helpful.

So you use the same commands/keybindings for all those different lisp
dialects? Reminds me a bit a ESS (emacs speaks statistics), a single
interface for R, SAS and others. Didn't know that there is a R backend
for slime/swank. I guess that in this case 'slime mode extends ESS with the
ability to talk to the server interpreter(s) [R, SAS...] via the swank
protocol' too -  instead of replacing ESS. Sounds very interesting.

>> I can open a picolisp file in slime-mode now, but I can't connect
>> (with slime-connect):
>> ,-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | Connecting to Swank on port 4005.. [2 times] open-network-stream: make
>> | client process failed: verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt, :name, SLIME
>> | Lisp, :buffer, nil, :host,, :service, 4005
>> `-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> I have to check my slime installation ...
>> Is that still valid, or should it rather be 'pil ore 'plmod now?
>> ,-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | (setq slime-lisp-implementations
>> |       `((picolisp ("/usr/bin/picolisp/p") :init slime-init-picolisp)))
>> `-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I think the way picolisp is launched has changed recently, so you
> need the use the correct shell script, likely pil.  Please let me know
> it it worked for you.  You should get a repl and then type (+ 1 2) and
> get the result.  If you move your cursor around, you should see function
> arguments in the message buffer and if you do M-. and M-, then you
> should be jumping around the sources.

I have to learn more about slime and check my installation. Thanks for
the links below.

>> So, the connection via swank replaces the connection via
>> inferior-picolisp/commint - or uses it? And slime-mode replaces
>> picolisp-mode, or adds new functionality to it?
> Swank is a client/server protocol that doesn't use commint mode, it
> talks to the picolisp interpreter via socket.  Slime mode extends
> picolisp mode with the ability to talk to the server interpreter(s) via
> the swank protocol.
>> Thats new terrain, I only knew about swank from ENSIME, the emacs
>> scala mode, never used slime/swank with a lisp.
> I didn't know Scala worked with slime too.

ENSIME is an implementation of the swank protocol, and it works quite
nice. I don't know if it uses the slime conventions/keybindings too.