Hi Alex,

,------------------------------------------------------------------------
`------------------------------------------------------------------------

> I assume that this 'pil' file is
>
>    #!/bin/sh
>    exec ${0%/*}/bin/picolisp ${0%/*}/lib.l @ext.l "$@"

yes, that it.

,------------------------------------------------------------------
`------------------------------------------------------------------

,----------------------
| tj1@tj-desktop:~$ pil
| : (+ 3 5)
| -> 8
| :
`----------------------

very strange. but

,--------------------------------------------------
| tj1@tj-desktop:~$ /usr/bin/picolisp/pil
| bash: /usr/bin/picolisp/pil: Ist kein Verzeichnis
| tj1@tj-desktop:~$ /usr/share/picolisp/pil
| :
`--------------------------------------------------

so thats the solution - I have a local installation, I set the 4 links
to /usr/bin/ and /usr/share/ as described in INSTALL - but apparently
only /usr/share/picolisp is the one that works.
I have no idea why.

after changing all calls to 'pil' to '/usr/share/picolisp/pil' and the
call to swank-picolisp to '/usr/share/picolisp/lib/swank-picolisp'
things worked - more or less.
The connection to slime worked, I get a slime-repl with a pil> prompt,
and calculations like (+ 3 4 ) work - but everything is extremely slow,
and after each keystroke I get 'wrong number of arguments' errors ...

but anyway - it works, somehow, finally.
I should become a software- and usability-tester, I have what it takes
;)

now I'll try to figure out why what is still making problems.
thanks for your help!

Thorsten