Hi Konrad.

"And really The detail records will never be accessed outside the
context of the master record. They don't need any indexing, or
independent lookup."

Then I think you've made the right decision, in VizReader for
instance, each user subscribes to some feeds in a private context, ie
knowing which users subscribe to any given feed is not a priority,
this looks like this:

(class +User +Entity)
(rel uname    (+Need +Key +String))
(rel pwd      (+Need +String))
(rel feeds    (+List +Ref +Link) NIL (+Feed))
..

"Also As master records don;t relate to each other I'm a little
confused as to how I hand the rest of the database together.
Do I just start it and add objects to it Or do  I need to build a top
level List of master objects and set this as the first object
in the database."

No you just go ahead and create objects:

(new (db: +Article) '(+Article) 'htmlUrl HtmlUrl)