On May 29, 2012, at 12:30 AM, José Romero wrote:

> On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:51:21 +0200
> Jorge Acereda <jacer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I need to invoke external commands for each entry in my database and
>> I want to run those in parallel, but restricting the number of
>> simultaneous jobs to a certain number to avoid bringing the machine
>> to its knees (sort of 'make -jN').
>> How would you approach such problem?
> First a bit more of information is needed, what do you need to
> parallelize? The processing steps within each entry, or the processing
> of the entries themselves? Are there any dependencies that should be
> taken into account?

I'll try to explain better what I'm trying to do.
As a learning exercise, I'm implementing a build tool (sort of 'scons').
A target can have explicit dependencies (specified when the target is inserted
in the database) or calculated dependencies (in the case of a C target,
obtained via 'cc -M', 'mkdep' or something similar).
I still don't know how fast will be the stage that determines the build order,
so at this stage i'm only worried about being able to run the mkdeps stage and
the build stage in parallel.