On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 06:10:05PM -0400, Joe Bogner wrote:
> To be more clear, this is the call pattern that I'm referring to:
>
> : (for X (idx 'A) (set (car (idx 'A X)) 0)) (Sum)
> As you can see, clearing it before calling Sum gives the correct results.

OK, so this makes sense (also the assumption in my last mail about the
idx values). You clear the values of the payload items.

Note that 'X' in the above loop already contains the payload items
(symbols or cells). So looking them up again is not necessary. You can
write

   (for X (idx 'A) (set X 0))

A second note: (idx 'A) collects all items in the _whole_ index tree
into a list. This makes sense only for small trees, of course, and is
not used often in production code.