Hi Michiel,

It appears to be an issue with fork under cygwin. I've duplicated your same
problem. I've ran into similar issues with fork under windows/cygwin and
found it to be unstable.  You can google to find other instances:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-06/msg00331.html, I came across this
several months ago as well to see if there's a way to eliminate the fork:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/afdf1b68-1f3e-47f5-94cf-51e397afe073,
but found it to be a dead end. In the end, I've used cygwin for light, non
web work and then used a virtual image otherwise. I've also tinkered with
ersatz and web -  http://picolisp.com/5000/!wiki?ErsatzWebApp for the same
reasons.

Specifically windows error 6 seems to be an issue with an invalid handle. I
suspect fork() is having an issue sharing the handle in the new process.

I suggest avoiding fork() altogether. As a proof of concept, you can
redefine server() to not use fork. This may introduce other errors. I've
only done limited testing with it.

This example works for me and prints out the # of hits that have been
stored in the db.

testwindows.l

(load "@lib/http.l" )

(de server (P H)
   (setq
      *Port P
      *Port1 P
      *Home (cons H (chop H))
      P (port *Port) )
   (gc)
   (loop
      (setq *Sock (listen P))
      (http *Sock)
      (close *Sock) ) )

(de mytest ()
   (prinl "hello")
   (put! (get *DB) 'hits (inc (get *DB 'hits)))
   (prinl (get *DB 'hits))
   (prinl (val *DB)) )

(de go ()
   (pool "testdb1" )
   (or (get *DB 'hits) (put! (get *DB) 'hits 0))
   (prinl (val *DB) ) #does not give an error
   (server 8080 "!mytest") )

Hope that helps in some way.

Thanks
Joe