Hi List,

thanks to the hints from Alex and the answer to this question:

,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/53048/how-to-use-the-meta-alt-key-with-tput
`------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I managed to produce a first experimental version of 'epil', i.e. a new
version of led.l (eled.l) and some small changes in libraries that are
called at PicoLisp startup. If you clone this github repo:

,-----------------------------
| https://github.com/tj64/epil
`-----------------------------

and set some symlinks as described in:

,---------------------------------------------------
| https://github.com/tj64/epil/blob/master/README.md
`---------------------------------------------------

you can startup PicoLisp with

,---------
| : epil +
`---------

just like with 'pil' and the Emacs-like keybindings described in the
README file will work (somehow). This is still the original
functionality from the Vi-mode, just the concepts (non-modal) and
key-bindings have changed.

There are several remaining problems though:

1. self-insertion of character is at point (prompt), not after. so at
   the end of a line, I cannot insert the next character.

   ,----------
   | last word
   `----------

   becomes

   ,-----------
   | last wor!d
   `-----------

   when trying to insert the '!'

2. I asked about using the meta-key and received the following answer:

   ,--------------------------------------------------------------------
   | I would just hardcode M-x == <Esc>x (the sequence of two characters
   | \033 and x). This way, even if the terminal doesn't support that
   | mode, the user can still type Esc, x in sequence.
   `--------------------------------------------------------------------

  Now that works :

  ,------------------------------------
  | ("^[" (and (key 500)
  |       (case @
  |          ("f" (rWord))
  |          ("b" (lWord))
  |          ("d" (doUndo) (delWord T)) ...
  `------------------------------------

  but in my case only when I type  Esc, f in sequence (e.g.). M-f
  doesn't work, unfortunately.

3. keybindings for pattern and character search, undo all changes, and
   matching parenthesis have to be found.

4. whats the difference between 'g' and 'p'/'P' in vi mode? at the
   moment I use simply C-y for pasting instead of 'P'.

May the Emacs users can have a look at epil/eled and discuss/improve
keybindings and functionality. Next (and last step) will be 'eedit.l', the
Emacs version of the 'edit' function.

--
cheers,
Thorsten