On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 03:41:36PM +0100, Alexander Burger wrote:
> Yes. ONLY the reader interns transient symbols in the transient symbol
> table.

To be correct: Also the parser functions 'any' and 'str' (and 'load' in
the parsing form), which call 'read' internally intern transient

Now I noticed that pil32 and pil64 behave differently in that regard.

pil32 does an explicit check for _not_ being in parse mode. In

      if (x = findHash(y, h = Transient + ihash(y)))
         return x;
      x = consStr(y);
      if (Env.get == getStdin)      // <-- This line
         *h = cons(x,*h);
      return x;

So "This line" is an incompatibility. I'll remove it from pil32.