Thorsten - Thanks for the reply. I tried it and it works great - just as
expected. It works very well on my phone too which had some trouble with
the terminal program switching in and out of vi mode due to the poor
handling of Esc. I will definitely be using this

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjol...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Joe Bogner <joebog...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Joe,
>
> > I will give it a shot. This gives me a reason to try emacs again for
> > picolisp. I installed everything the other day and then switched back
> > to vi and vi mode in the repl after getting frustrated with not
> > knowing how to cycle through my command history in inferior-picolisp.
> > I am so used to <esc> k j
>
> there is something superior to inferior-picolisp out there: Tomas
> Hlavaty's slime/swank mode for PicoLisp. He recently posted the link to
> his git-repo on the mailing list. Thats a top point on my agenda to make
> that mode work for me and replace inferior-picolisp.

I will have to look into that further. Thanks for the suggestion

> However, I found it very frustrating to be totally lost on the PicoLisp
> command-line (since I don't know nothing about vi). And I do think that
> the PicoLisp philosophy (live in the command-line, open an editor on
> demand) does have its merits sometimes. Therefore I wrote the
> Emacs-style editor. Its still alpha, but now I can use the PicoLisp line
> editor in a 'natural way' (for an Emacs user), just like I use the Bash
> command-line in Emacs mode "without thinking".

I have spent the last year learning emacs and what I've found is (my
personal experience, not a flame war) that emacs can be more efficient and
natural when creating new content - either code or text. Vim is more
efficient for me when changing large amounts of code or refactoring. That
may come with time in emacs.

> > After some googling tonight I found how to cycle using
> >
> > * M-p (comint-previous-input)
> >   Select the previous command in the input history.
> >

> > * M-n (comint-next-input)
> >   Select the next command in the input history.
> >

> > It might be nice to add this and any other tricks to your emacs style
> > page.
>

> Thats already implemented, but I used C-p and C-n instead of M-p and M-n
> since there is only only line in the REPL and and C-p and C-n can't
> server as line-up and line-down in a buffer. However, I could change
> that anytime.

Works like a charm