On Wednesday 08 of May 2013 17:05:05 you wrote:
> Do leading dots on a line have a special meaning for email (as they do
> for tools like [gt]roff etc.)?

not for emails per se, but in SMTP protocol, only during transmission of the
message BODY.

A line with one bare dot, followed by line feed and no other content indicates
ind of message BODY.
An SMTP client (sender) must replace leading dot with two dots (in message
BODY).
An SMTP server (receiver) must replace (again, in message BODY) two leading
dots with one before handing the message over to other process or to storage.

Thus you only see extra dot while message is on the wire, but not in storage.

dexen deVries

``we, the humanity'' is the greatest experiment we, the humanity, ever
undertook.