Henrik Sarvell <hsarv...@gmail.com>
writes:

Hi Henrik,

> why do you want to do this explicitly since it's done for
> you implicitly in all the various type of reference relations you have
> (typically +Link)?

I want to export the objects to a textual representation that might be
edited and then committed again, so I must be able to find out which DB
object is associated to the textual representation.

> In Macropis I simply use the convention of having a relation called id
> auto increment (by way of http://software-lab.de/doc/refG.html#genKey )
> , that way it doesn't matter which machine something is on, I will
> never have to worry since something like the action /+Page/update/3/
> always updates the object of class +Page with id 3 no matter what the
> {x...} location might look like.

That sounds like a solution I should copy. Just out of curiosity: in a
distributed database, the object ids ({3}, {1-2} ...) are not unique but
might be repeated on different machines?

> However the impetus for this convention was actually the fact that
> functions like db and collect need for instance a +Ref or +Key to be
> able to fetch an object at all, having a +Key called id in all objects
> make things so much easier.

I figured that out too (-> db and collect need a +Ref or +Key) and it
makes using a +Key id even more reasonable, I wasn't aware of the id
functions in picolisp, so I thought about my own solution.

> But anyway, to really answer your question you might want to look
> into: http://software-lab.de/doc/refI.html#id
>
> And as far as the remote stuff goes with the db id and obj id combo
> AFAIK you have to implement it yourself, you might want to start by
> reading this discussion:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.picolisp.general/2849

Thanks for the tips, very helpful!

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Thorsten Jolitz
> <tjol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Thorsten Jolitz <tjol...@gmail.com>
>     writes:
>
>     ,------------------------------------------------------------------
>     -------
>     | Sorry, I sent this post accidentally before I was finished, so I
>     have to
>     | send it again.
>     `------------------------------------------------------------------
>     -------
>

>     Hi List,
>
>     say I want to use the internal Object ID of database object as a
>     unique string
>     identifier (useful e.g. for export in a textformat), i.e.
>     something
>     like:
>

>     ,-------------------------
>
>     | : (put '{33} 'ID "{33}")
>
>     `-------------------------
>
>     how do I get the ID from a database object in a program? And is
>     there
>     some unique identifier for a database too, so that object-id and
>     db-id
>     could be combined into a globally unique id?
>

>     --
>     cheers,
>     Thorsten
>
>     --