Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply and the details.

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de>wrote:

> Alex, is there a reasonably safe upper bounds that can be used instead of
> > it being determined dynamically?
>
> Hmm, what is "safe"? In any case you use the generality of the language,
> the "Unlimited" design objective of PicoLisp. You can never be sure that
> you don't exceed one of these fixed sizes.

The Unlimited design of PicoLisp is incredibly powerful. To clarify, I was
seeking some guidance on a reasonable upper limit on variable length arrays
that doesn't significantly handicap the language for demoing in an
emscripten environment. The proper solution is likely to use malloc/free
but that would introduce additional effort/complexity that might be
unnecessary for a proof of concept. I sometimes prefer hacking a small
change just to see if it's possible before letting myself go down a rabbit
hole.

It sounds like the reasonable upper limit might depend on the function. I
think I may have changed approximately 8 places that use the sym/val
structure.  I'll take a closer look. I was hopeful that there might have
been a quick answer that will work the vast majority of use cases with
little or no impact on run time and memory.