Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de> writes:

> I think you'll know the function
>
>    http://software-lab.de/doc/refD.html#doc
>

> I mostly use it directly from a shell window, with a script 'doc' in my
> executable path
>
>    #!/usr/bin/pil @lib/debug.l
>    (raw T)
>    (doc (opt) (opt))
>    (bye)
>
> It is called as
>
>    $ doc mapcar
>
> and directly opens the right browser window. I have 'w3m' as my default
> browser, so this is blindingly fast, but any other browser works just as
> well. If e.g. Firefox is already open, it connects to it and just opens
> a new tab.

In case you are an Emacs user, you can reuse your muscle memory, since
in eled.l (the emacs version of the pil line editor) I reused some
well-known C-h bindings from Emacs:

,----
| Help/Info/Debugging

| | action                | keys      |
| |-----------------------+-----------|
| | debug                 | C-h d     |
| | unbug                 | C-u C-h d |
| | file info             | C-h i     |
| | symbol doc            | C-h f     |
| | show symbol           | C-h s     |
| | pretty print (pp)     | C-h p p   |
| | pretty print (pretty) | C-h p r   |
`----

(see http://picolisp.com/wiki/?emacsStyleLed for the complete keybinding
reference)

Thus calling 'doc' on function/symbol FOO is just 'C-h f FOO RET', and
thats already hardcoded in every Emacs user's brain I would guess.

--
cheers,
Thorsten