Hey,

On Nov 26, 2014, at 12:09 AM, George Orais <gpor...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Kuba!
>
> I see that Jakob and Alex already covered most of your inquiry, but i'll just
> answer you too ;)
>

> > First of all, great progress with the pilMCU so far, I hope the EEPROM
> > continues to work and you can move on to the next step.
>
> Thanks!! and yes, i utilized one push button so that every time i press it it
> will increment the PC counter then it will fetch from EEPROM the stored
> bytecode :) now i'm a bit busy with work coz of the coming CES :( but don't
> worry, the I2C hurdle was done so EEPROM write should be already done, just
> need to properly align the state machine inside ;)
>

> > A small suggestion - please put big image files on some site (imgur etc)
> > and attach - it would be easier, downloading large email file takes time (I
> > don't use webmails like gmail).
>
> Oh! sorry about that and actually Jakob already called out on this, sorry
> everyone i this will not happen again, either i change to smaller resolution
> or use an external link as Kuba suggested

Cool, I use old school IMAP account with an actual quota (believe it or not ;) )

> > Further, I have a couple questions on the implementation,
> > you said you had an emulator running picolisp already -
>
> yes, we still got it ;)
>

> > is this actually the whole picolisp converted somehow to a dedicated CPU
> > running on FPGA, or is that an actual CPU emulated (say some kind of ARM),
> > and picolisp compiled for that CPU ?
>
> as Jkob said, its a new 64bit CPU :)

Some kind of derivative of this : http://software-lab.de/doc64/asm ?

Cool design of the 64bit version that allows to create a completely custom CPU
or at the very least easy translation to pretty much any architecture.

> > I'm just trying to have a sense of what the pilMCU will become - will it be
> > running on some kind of microcontroller, or will it actually run on a FPGA
> > with a dedicated CPU, or maybe will it be some kind of ARM or MIPS core
> > running on FPGA running the picolisp ?
>
> As of the moment, its the "will it actually run on a FPGA with a dedicated
> CPU". This is just considered as prototype stage? And once we got this
> running and able to get the funding we need? we will proceed of doing it to
> ASIC? or even better but expensive, fabricate it to an actual standalone
> microchip? this would be the ultimate goal, but does ASIC version has the
> same purpose correct? but yes, the goal is to have a pilMCU chip on its own
> development board in which would look like RPi, or TI BB or other
> microcontroller kits these days that are capable of running Linux? once we
> got this running Alex already started implementing an OS which is now stored
> on an SD card :)
>

> > Think for example of micropython or armpit-scheme - those are able to run
> > on many microtrollers, I personally run them on a STM32F4 that's quite
> > powerful (1MB flash, 200KB RAM) - pretty good for a mictrocontroller
>
> ah yes i think i read it somewhere? but hmm the difference is this still is
> not considered as bare metal running of python or scheme, they still rely on
> a small vm inside the microcontroller correct? or do you mean python and
> scheme is used as programming syntax but then it is compiled to a STMicro
> binary?

micropython running on an MCU is simply compiled (C source with a little ASM)
for ARM-cortex core with whatever additions required to initialize and use
uControllers peripherals (just like minipicolisp that Alexander and me ported),
I don't think there's any VM in between

same applies to armpit-scheme, it's all in ARM assembly.

Technically both could be considered bare-metal environments running on generic
ARM cores.

> As mentioned by Alex, there is the miniPicolisp, im not sure on which MCU it
> was run, something like Arduino maybe? Give it a try if you have time ;)

I didn't really have time but I did give it a try and got it to work on my
STM32F4 - didn't take very long ;)