A long while ago I bookmarked this build failure of picolisp on Debian

and it looks like an OS-independent issue, and seems to be trivially fixable,
according to:

 - under "Undefined bits/confname.h macros (PIPE_BUF, ...)"

(albeit requiring context-dependent ifdefs). Since I saw the issue I haven't
had time to setup a Hurd build environment to actually write and test a
patch. Rather than putting it off for another year, or writing a "best guess"
patch and opening it as a bug-with-patch on the Debian BTS, I figured it is
simpler and faster to post about it here - so if anyone else finds the time,
and if the fix really is that simple, it can help all users more quickly.

Rowan Thorpe
PGP fingerprint:
 BB0A 0787 C0EE BDD8 7F97  3D30 49F2 13A5 265D CCBD
"There is a great difference between worry and concern. A worried person sees
a problem, and a concerned person solves a problem."
 - Harold Stephens