> what's the canonical way to customize the default 'pil' environment?
> I'd like to have some of my own utilities and other goodies loaded when I
> start up.
> Can I just stick the necessary calls to (load) in .pilrc? :)

I'm not aware of any .pilrc mechanics, search in mailing list also yields
nothing, though such a mechanic might exist. I don't think this is the case.

Have a look in your picolisp directory, within @bin/ there are the files
'picolisp' and 'pil. 'picolisp' is the actual binary generated by building
You usually start the picolisp repl by executing 'pil', watch it in a text
editor and you can see it is actually a simple script using the #! mechanism to
start the 'picolisp' binary, followed by loading a few files from @lib/.
Those files are considered standard, globales and functions defined in those
files is also mentioned in the official reference, opposite to other
functionality hiding within the @lib/ directory.

So the answer to your question is probably to just craft a customized variant
of the pil file, e.g. leaving out @lib/db.l if you don't have any use for the
whole database functionality.
Of course you could also customize it in a way to load a .pilrc in your home
folder, e.g.

(let Rc (pack (sys "HOME") "/.pilrc")
   (when (info Rc)
       (load Rc) ) )

thought this might end in an error when .pilrc happens to exist but is a
directory, so maybe you want to do:

(let Rc (pack (sys "HOME") "/.pilrc")
   (when (num? (car (info Rc)))
       (load Rc) ) )