I think, Erik, you should review the PicoLisp Reference about evaluation.
In PicoLisp, everything is interpreted except primitive functions which are
either implemented in C (32-bit) or assembly (64-bit). So the source you
see in the lisp files is the same as what the compiler will execute, except
that data structures are built and symbols resolved during (read).

The relevant part of the manual is here:
http://software-lab.de/doc/ref.html#ev

John