Hi Anik

Welcome to the picolisp mailing list.
First, LISP itself is a "normal" language in the sense that everything you can
do in other languages, you can also do in LISP.
Technically, some stuff is easier expressed with a LISP language than a C-like
language, while C-like languages usually give more ways to restrict the usage
of your code for other programmers (which might be useful for BigCorp with many
devs).

There are many different flavours of LISP, which have some things in common
(making them all LISPS, e.g. the S-expression syntax), but they can be
radically different.
Picolisp is a rather special lisp, because it is interpreter-only (no
compiler), makes use of F-expressions (functions with unevaluated arguments)
which came out of fashion for most lisp languages long ago, and above all
picolisp is radically simple and succinct.
Additionally picolisp is quite small for an interpreter and performance can be
better than compiled binaries of other languages (e.g. see
http://kazimirmajorinc.com/Documents/The-speed-of-eval-in-some-Lisp-implementations/index.html
 ).

Check out this interactive explanation of picolisp philosophy:
http://picolisp.com/tractatus

Currently, picolisp is probably mainly used for web applications and scripting
(e.g. instead of bash).
Some people use it for embedded programming or for teaching programming.
You can use it for everything really, though interfacing with another
application/system might need some extra work as there probably isn't a
ready-made solution available for your specific use case.
Lisp and even more picolisp gives you the power to develop problem-tailored
solutions quickly and easily.

I use picolisp mainly because of the quick development time, short code and the
absolute awesome integrated database.
Also, picolisp is very stable and tested tech, unlike e.g. node.js and co.

Drop by in IRC on #picolisp on freenode.org if you like.