Hi Joe,

> The T appears to act as a function in your first option. Does that act like
> "If true return the cdr then break out of the for loop"?

Yes, exactly. The 'T' is indeed not a function, but the marker of special
clauses in the 'for' syntax (but also 'loop' or 'do'). 'NIL' is also supported.

The reference of 'for' says, terse as usually:

   If a clause has NIL or T as its CAR, the clause's second element is evaluated
   as a condition and - if the result is NIL or non-NIL, respectively - the prg
   is executed and the result returned.

> I could do this in perl, but I wouldn't be building character ;-)

Yess :)