Hi Geo! Thanks a lot for the info!
I did a google search and it turns out Unicode does come with several text
files that create mappings between letters of different cases. The most
important one is UnicodeData.txt. It has the one to one mappings between
lower and upper case.
Though my quick google search didn't turn up results for how kaffe deals
with case mappings, I guess the likely thing is that picolisp uses a text
file just like that for its case management.
Thanks for the pointers to the source, too. When I first looked at the
64-bits source I didn't understand it, but with the comparison with the
32-bit source I get a better idea of what it does. I'll use the contrast
between the two from now on to study it better.