Hello,

I am trying to understand something about PicoLisp and Fixpoint numbers.

I am writing an app and would consider PicoLisp should I get my head around Lisp. But I do not understand how to use numbers.

I use a lot of floating point numbers and lots of calculations. From simple experiments it seems that the numbers and math appear to be accurate and correct. However I have no understanding of how to present a final result formatted correctly.

Example:

(setq *Scl 5) ;; or could be 10 ...

(* 0.00009 0.0009)

-> 81

From another language: 0.0000000081

or:

(setq *Scl 20)

(* 9.9 9.789 9.56789)

-> 927234744579000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

From another language 20 decimal points printed after converting to floating point:

927.23474457900010747835

The math looks fine as far as these simple examples go. But if I do several to dozens of different calculations with floating point numbers with unknown values until streamed to the app from some source. How do I know where the decimal point really belongs in order to format correctly for human use? Is it possible?

I personally do not have a problem with fixpoint for internal use, as that is simply an implementation issue. However I do need to convert back to the best floating point representation for display or storage.

Any help in understanding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jimmie